Trauma can stem from a single event or a series of traumatic events that are repeated over a period of time, causing individuals to suffer overwhelming painful, frightening or loathing emotions. Experiencing trauma during childhood while the brain is still developing can have severe and long-lasting effects that can carry into young adulthood and – if left untreated – into adulthood. The negative impact of childhood trauma is deep, long-lasting, and often devastating.
Emotional Trauma Issues
- Codependency - individuals suffering from codependency repress their emotions and needs to the point they are subjected to relationship trauma and extremely low self-esteem. Codependency causes sufferers to ignore their own needs while constantly fulfilling the needs of others.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - is is a trauma and stressor-related disorder that stems from life-threatening events or psychological trauma. Individuals who experience sudden, unprovoked, and disturbing memory flashbacks or have repeated nightmares might be suffering from PTSD.
- Relationship Trauma - in spite of age, the young adult is often experiencing trauma in the context of intimate relationships.
- Love Addiction - is a painful, compulsive and addictive disorder that negatively impacts both the addict and the object of his or her obsession.
- Love Avoidance - is an inability or refusal to show love for someone for fear of being hurt. Love avoidants guard themselves in relationships.
- Trauma - can be a single event or a series of traumatic events that are repeated over time causing an individual to become overwhelmed with painful, frightening or loathing emotions.
Grief and Loss
Grief and Loss include situations from the death of a loved one to the loss of one’s health to the end of relationships to major life changes. Once individuals go through the grieving process, they can forge ahead in their lives.
Trauma sufferers often struggle with:
- Emotional challenges
- Low self-esteem
Emotional Trauma Recovery
The beautiful year-round weather of Scottsdale, Arizona makes The Meadows Outpatient Center the ideal place to begin or continue your journey of recovery. In a safe and nurturing community, our patients are guided on their journey of recovery by examining the underlying causes of addiction and co-occurring disorders. The goal is for these individuals to gain the courage to face difficult issues, including grief and loss; heal from emotional trauma; and become accountable for their own feelings, behaviors, and recovery. Visit us here or feel free to phone us at 800-244-4949.