Somatic Experiencing® is a therapeutic tool used to treat Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other trauma-related disorders. Somatic Experiencing® is a body-oriented approach developed by Dr. Peter Levine, a Senior Fellow at The Meadows and a leader in trauma treatment. While studying the stress responses of animals in their natural environments, Dr. Levine discovered that trauma is not about the event. It is actually the biological and physiological response to the event. Dr. Levine believes that accessing the nervous system and bypassing the brain allows for more relaxation, containment, and emotional self-regulation.
The goals of Somatic Experiencing®:
- Being present in the here and now
- Exploring choices and options
- Creating stability in patients’ relationships and lives
- Somatic Experiencing® is used to treat two types of trauma:
- Shock Trauma – Trauma caused by a single traumatic event or near-death experience.
- Developmental Trauma – Trauma during childhood development.
- The Meadows Model helps patients find the words to describe what they feel. Somatic Experiencing® works to stabilize emotional and physiological distress. These two effective approaches work together in the healing process.
Continue Your Journey Towards Recovery
The beautiful year-round weather of Scottsdale, Arizona makes The Meadows Outpatient Center the ideal place to begin or continue your journey of recovery. In a safe and nurturing community, our patients are guided on their journey of recovery by examining the underlying causes of addiction and co-occurring disorders. The goal is for these individuals to gain the courage to face difficult issues, including grief and loss; heal from emotional trauma; and become accountable for their own feelings, behaviors, and recovery. Visit us here or feel free to phone us at 800-244-4949.